Bugger That!

Things that don't feel right

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-01 13:58:27

mark

Our architect's view of the DA

Here's a copy of email from our architect about the DA.  She has highlight a fact I did not know.  The council may have a 9 metre height limit for our street, it also has a 2 story limit.   I'll update my height objection with this fact.  There's also a few other points in here we can use.

Hi Lisa,

Sure I can help and I'll have a look at that chat list.

I've spent some time checking their shadow diagrams and I believe they are correct. There will be no effect on your solar panels, considerable effect on your back garden and on your kitchen/living room windows. Only 1 kitchen window is shown on their documentation but you have two windows, so the effect will be greater than they show.

Your kitchen windows let sunlight into your living space because you have an open plan. At midwinter you will lose all the sunlight you currently get into these spaces, through your kitchen windows, and you were getting a lot of sunlight - at 10 am, 11 am, 12 pm, 1 pm, 2 pm and 3 pm. Sun in winter is very welcome and warming so this is a big loss for you. This means that your living spaces in the heart of your house, next to the stair, will be darker now. The skylight here will be more important than ever, but in the early morning and afternoon, the sun is angled so not that much comes down directly - it bounces off the walls. In March and also in September, you will lose the sunlight you get through the kitchen windows at 10 am & at 11 am, so for most of the morning. In summary, these windows will now be overshadowed for the mornings for most of the year when the sun is most wanted indoors.

You back garden and the deck that leads out to it will lose all morning winter sun at 9am, 10 am, half at 11 am and 12 pm.

Your wall garden down the side path will lose all winter sun so you will no longer be able to grow any thing here that likes sun in winter. In March and also in September, you will lose the sunlight you get in the morning at 10 am, 11 am and half at 12 pm. Again, this will severely impact the vedggies you grow here.

Given the effect on your garden, you will need to re-design your landscaping. I'd suggest to council that if the DA is approved, there's a condition in the DA approval for the costs of a landscaper to re-design and re-landscape your garden because without morning sun, many of your curent plants will die and will need to be changed to being shade lovers, with awnings to protect them in summer when the sun hits.

Other things I've found - Council's DCP maps have a 2 storey max limit for the site. Their proposal has 3. And I think under the LEP for boarding houses, they are encouraged to comply with the DCP. I'm sure the planner will find this out.

Their landscaping plan shows the southern path fully landscaped but its very narrow, about 600 mm wide in parts, there's no room for a path to maintain the landscaping. This means that the plants down this side path will be very hard to maintain and will probably die and be paved. With bamboo proposed, how will this be prevented from spreading to the neighbouring garden? Don't bamboo and Lillypilly need some sun to grow?

There is landscaping proposed under an overhang at the back of the house, right up to the doors of G03 shown opening onto the garden. This is not realistic. Doors invite access to the garden so the Kidney weed proposed for the area will quickly be replaced with more practical paving, which will impact on the Jacaranda tree at no 47.

There's no arborists report on the effect of the development on your Jacaranda tree. Such a large development within the canopy of your tree will need to cut through a large part of the rootzone for the footings.

Hope this is enough for now,

Joanna

#2 2019-04-01 20:24:32

mark

Re: Our architect's view of the DA

another follow up:

Hi Mark,

There are so many reasons for disagreement with the development!

Just something else you might not be aware of, the application is being made under the SEPP Affordable Rental Housing 2009: https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/#/vi … part2/div3 which lists the requirements under which a boarding house must be approved.  These have to all be met or council can say no. And there aren't that many of them. Their architects assess the controls from page 29 of the attached. They meet most of these.

One they are arguing, see page 30, is:

(2)  A consent authority must not refuse consent to development to which this Division applies on any of the following grounds:

(a)  building height if the building height of all proposed buildings is not more than the maximum building height permitted under another environmental planning instrument for any building on the land,

You have to counter this argument - that though its bigger, its not substantial. It actually is substantial because it has such an effect on your garden.

And I think this one is not dealt with by them ...

(b)  landscaped area if the landscape treatment of the front setback area is compatible with the streetscape in which the building is located, Clearly not compatible though they say they are. You have to argue why you think not. They have motorbike parking which no one else has in the street.

Under 30A, "A consent authority must not consent to development to which this Division applies unless it has taken into consideration whether the design of the development is compatible with the character of the local area."

All your other arguments will come under this one. The DCP sets out the character of the local area being 2 storey yet this is 3. The local area does not have large balconies on top floors that overlook everyone. The local area protects solar access - need to quote DCP if possible... etc.

Thanks,

Joanna

Last edited by mark (2019-04-01 20:31:12)

#3 2019-09-09 22:11:48

mark

Re: Our architect's view of the DA

Our architect's latest submission: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e2qtsuz568ic … 8Q-Ga?dl=0

Board footer